Island of Cocibolca y San Juan River
01 April 2020 - 30 November 2021
01 January 2021 - 30 November 2021
Itinerary | Cocibolca Island and Rio San Juan
Day 1: Managua – San Jorge – Ometepe Island – Playa Santo Domingo
- We will depart from Managua International Airport and transfer to San Jorge. Then traverse by ferry boat to the volcanic island of Ometepe. During our safari/transfer, we’ll be up close not only to the scenery, but also the day-to-day activities of the island’s inhabitants. In the afternoon we can enjoy the charms of this place and the refreshing waters of Lake Nicaragua. Accommodation at Playa Santo Domingo in the Hotel Villa Paraiso*(*).
- Included meals today : Lunch
Day 2: Playa Santo Domingo – Alta Gracia – San Jorge –Granada
- After breakfast, we’ll start toward the town of Alta Gracia, visiting the little church and museum. One the way we will pass by the famous and legendary “Charco Verde” and enjoy the vegetation of this unique place. Then we will return to the mainland and drive to the colonial capital Granada. We will begin with a walking tour of Granada with its monuments and colorful life. Dinner in town. Accommodation are at the Alhambra Hotel**(*) or equivalent.
- Included meals today : Breakfast and dinner
Day 3: Granada – Isletas – Catarina – Market of Masaya- Volcano Masaya – Managua
- We will continue with the visit of the principal monuments of Granada. Then we will embark on a boat tour of Granada’s famous Isletas, an archipelago of inhabited islands formed by an ancient volcanic explosion, just off the shore of Lake Nicaragua. After, we will drive to Masaya and pass by the village of Catarina to enjoy the remarkable view of the Apoyo Lagoon from its lookout point. Here, we will also visit a plant nursery and receive many explanations of the local vegetation. In Masaya, the colorful market invites you to bargain for handmade crafts. Then, we assure you that you’ll be astounded by the views at the Masaya volcano with its endangered “Chocoyos” green parrots. By darkness, we will have the opportunity to observe the glowing lava ( if weather permits ) coming out of the main crater. Continuation to Managua, capital of the country. Accommodation at Hotel Hostal Real in Bolonia***.
- Included meals today : Breakfast and lunch
Day 4 : Managua – San Carlos – Sabalos
- In the morning we will leave Managua for San Carlos, the departure point of the San Juan river basin region. By public boat, along the river, we will reach the town of Sabalos, observing at the same time the interesting rural life of the region. The afternoon program will be decided on the spot to explore the area, depending on visitor’s wish. Accommodation at Sabalos Lodge.
- Included meals today: Breakfast and dinner
Day 5: Sabalos – El Castillo – Bartola Reserve – Sabalos
- Today is for the nature lover. We’ll travel by a river boat further into the jungle of the San Juan River. We will visit the Spanish fortress built to defend off British and Dutch pirates and the colorful village. Afterwards we’ll start a tour into the Bartola Reserve and observe the flora and fauna of the place. At afternoon, we will enjoy a canoe tour on the little Bartola River, surrounded by a luxuriant rain forest, observing the bird life of the area. Return to Sabalos and accommodation at Lodge.
- Included meals today : Breakfast and lunch
Day 6 : Sabalos – San Carlos – Guatuzos – Solentíname
- After the breakfast, we will start our journey back to San Carlos and then move on to the peaceful islands of Solentíname. We will continue to Los Guatuzos Reserve where we will explore the incredible nature and wildlife of the Reserve. Bird watching here is excellent. Afternoon, continuation to the islands, where we will visit and observe the painters and the local wood carvers. Arrival and installation to our Lodging. Dinner and lodging at Hotel Celentiname at Solentíname.
- Included meals today : Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 7: Solentiname – Managua
- In the morning, we will take our boat from Solentiname to San Carlos and fly back to Managua. End of our service. Included meals today: Breakfast Departure: Daily, except Thursday
- Return also available to Los Chiles (Costa Rica)
- All transfers and transportation during the roundtrip in comfortable vehicles with a/c (from 2-3 Pax we use a Minibus, from 4 to 7/8 Pax we use a Hiace, from 8/9 to 13/14 Pax we use a County Type) Note: We do not guarantee an a/c vehicle in Ometepe Island.
- Transportation by ferry from/to Ometepe Island
- Local flights Managua – San Carlos – Managua (La Costeña flight at this time is US$ 116.19 /person. Can change anytime without previous advice)
- Transportation by public boat San Carlos – Sabalos Lodge – San Carlos
- Excursion in private boat on day 5 Sabalos Lodge – El Castillo – Bartola Reserve – Sabalos Lodge
- Excursion in private boat on day 6 and 7 San Carlos – Los Guatuzos – Solentiname – San Carlos Accommodation at the mentioned hotels or similar in rooms with private bathrooms incl. local taxes
- Meals as per description
- English speaking tour guide from Day 01 to Day 07
- All entrance fees for the visits as per description
- Travel documentation with useful information
- Tourist Card entering Nicaragua (at this time US$ 10.00 / Pers.)
- Airport taxes Managua – San Carlos (approx US$ 2.00 / Pers. / way)
- Extra pounds baggage local flight Costeña (US$ 1.25 /pound. The company permits only 13kg per person, extra will be assume by the Pax) Airport departure taxes by an eventually departure from Managua Airport(US$ 35.00 / Pers., if not included already in the airfare)
- Additional meals
- All extras and personal expenses and Voluntary Tips